Domestic animals are kind of animals that has been kept the human civilization as work animals, food sources, or pets. Some of the clear examples of domestic animals are Cow, buffalo, sheep, goat, dog, cat, elephant, horse, camel, fish, chicken, parrot and pigeon. These animals are very useful for humans, For example, Cow gives us milk and help farmers in bull farming. Dogs are very loyal animals and even take care as watchdogs in our homes. Elephants used to carry heavy logs of woods. Almost all domestic animals are very loyal to their masters and quite friendly too. Here is the list of 10 admired domestic animals in the world,
- The dog is considered as the best-domesticated pet across the world.
- The tallest known dog in the world is a Great Dane named Zeus that was a 44 inches tall on October 4th, 2011. He is still the current Guinness world record holder.
- The oldest known dog breed is Saluki that dates back to 329 BC and was the royal pets in Ancient Egypt. The carving of the dog breed can be seen in Southern Iraq of a dog and dates back to 7000 BC.
- It is believed that dogs accompanied humans atleast from 20,000 years and possibly as many as 40,000. All domestic dogs share a common wolf ancestor.
- Dogs communicate in various techniques, scent and physical appearance are major methods of communication. Also, body position, facial expression and movements convey a strong message.
- The African hunting dog is the most successful hunting dogs in the world since they are successful in 50-70% of their hunts.
- Newfoundlands are the ultimate doggy lifeguards since they have water-resistant coats and webbed feet. Initially, it has been bred to help fisherman’s and to rescue people from drowning.
- It is also listed as one of the best animals in the world. Click here to learn more about domesticated dogs.
- Cats are being owned by millions of people across the world and it is the second most domesticated animal after dogs.
- Cats are the most common pets in America.
- It is also known as feline which is its scientific name.
- Along with dogs, Cats are also been in the world for a long time and first became domesticated (tamed) over 4,000 years ago in Ancient Egypt.
- Ancient Egyptians used cats to protect their food from pests and also it is admired as a hunter and worshipped like god or goddess by the Egyptian people.
- There are instances where cats body also persevered during the Ancient Egyptian period.
- Initially, cats are famous in Italy and then slowly spread throughout Europe. Later, when people from England came to settle in America along with their pet cats and thus it become popular in America as well.
- International Cat Day is celebrated throughout the world every October 29th every year.
- The famous cat breeds are American Bobtail, Shorthair, Wirehair, Bengal, Burmese, Manx, Persian, Oriental, Sphynx, Siberian and the list goes on.
- Cats conserve energy and sleep 13-14 hours per day.
Also Read: 10 Cat Family Battles In The Wildlife
- A cow is a large animal that belongs to family Bovidae.
- It is believed that the domestication of the breed has been started 10.500 years ago in Turkey and later it has been breed into 800 different breeds of a cow that we know today.
- Approximately, 1 billion cows exist across the globe.
- Cows are mostly used as a source of milk, meat and leather or as draft animals (It can be trained to pull the plough in the fields and help farmers)
- It can reach upto 8.5 feet in length and around 1200 pounds of weight.
- Talking about the appearance, it has a large head with big eyes and flexible ears that can move in all directions. The massive body is supported by long tail along with horns.
- Cows has an excellent sense of smell and hearing.
- Cows are a herbivorous animal that loves to eat clover and grass. They can eat 40 to 100 pounds of food per day and drinks 30 to 50 gallons of water.
- The average lifespan of cows is 20 years but they used to live much shorter.
Also Read: Top 10 Animals with Dreadlocks
- Goats is a type of domestic animal that belongs to the family Bovidae.
- It is a descendant of a Bezoar ibex mostly seen in southwest Asia and Eastern Europe.
- Goats are domesticated as a source of meat, milk and skin for approximately 9,000 years.
- The species is available across the world and there are 300 breeds exist.
- It can reach upto 16 to 42 inches in height and 20 to 250 pounds of weight.
- Goats has an excellent night vision and wide visual field by which they can detect predators without moving the head.
- Goats are one of the most social animals that like to spend time with other goats and are more independent-minded.
- The average lifespan of the goat is 15 to 18 years.
- Pigs are one of the most domesticated animals and considered as subspecies of wild boar.
- It is believed to be domesticated since 13,000 to 12,700 years BC in the Near East. In China, the separate domestication has been started 8,000 years ago.
- There are 500 types of pigs and approximately 2 billion pigs can be seen across the world. Pigalle mostly used as a source of meat known as pork.
- It can reach upto 35 to 71 inches in length and 110 to 770 pounds of weight.
- Talking about the appearance, It has a thick skin which is pinkish to brownish skin with less hair. It has a large head and a round disk of cartilage placed at the top of the snout.
- Pig is one of the most intelligent animal species and there are studies that state it is smarter than 3-years-old kids and dogs.
- It used to make 20 different sounds to express their feelings and the best known is squeals, oinks and grunting noise.
- The average lifespan of pigs is 6 to 10 years.
- Camels are one of the most unique animals that can be easily recognised with the humps. These creatures are seen in the desert areas of Africa and Asia.
- Dromedary and Bactrian are two types of camels. Dromedary camels has one hump and the Bactrian camels have two humps. Both of them are one of the most domestic animals in the world.
- It can reach upto 7 feet in height along with hump and weigh up to 1500 pounds.
- Camels are created in nature to be in deserts and have three eyelids and two of eyelashes that prevent sand to enter its eyes. The feet are specially designed to move in deserts and consist of two toes which spread when it touches the ground and prevents sinking.
- The unique hump of camels used to store fat which is used as a source of energy when other food sources are not available.
- It can survive without water for a longer period of time as compared to other animal species and can loose 20-25% water without becoming dehydrated.
- The average lifespan of camels is 40 to 50 years in the wild.
- It is also listed as one of the toughest animals in the world.
- Chicken is also one of the most domesticated animals in the variety of Asian jungle fowl.
- They are one of the domestic animals from 8000 years ago in northern China. Currently, 25 billion chickens in the world today and around 452 million are hens whose main purpose is to produce eggs. The other ones are used for meat.
- It can reach 27 inches in length and 5.5 pounds of weight.
- Chickens has excellent eyesight and they can see all colors. They can also fly but only for shorter distance and loves to spend most of the time on the solid ground.
- It is an omnivorous bird and its diet includes the seed and insects.
- Hens can produce 300 eggs per year and depending on the variety of chicken the colour of the eggs can be white, brown, pink, greenish or bluish-coloured.
- The average lifespan of Chicken is 5 to 10 years.
- Horses are also one of the domestic animals and wild ones are being domesticated 5,000 years ago in central Asia. Currently, there are 300 different known breeds and around 60 million horses in the world.
- It can be used for multiple purposes such as ploughs in the field, racing, and shows or for recreation.
- Horses can reach upto 56 to 72 inches in height and 840 to 2200 pounds of weight.
- Talking about the appearance, they are known for a shiny coat that can be white, yellowish, light or even dark brown accompanied by various markings.
- Horses has the biggest eyes of all land mammals and can see the field in 360 degrees.
- Along with Pigs, Horses are also one of the intelligent animals known for their excellent memory and uses its ears, eyes and nostrils to express its mood.
- It is used to communicate via whinnying with the help of loud roars, snorts and deep smooth sounds.
- The average lifespan of horses is 25 years.
Also Read: Top 10 Best Draft Horse Breeds
- Sheep is a domestic animal that belongs to the family Bovidae. The domestication of the species started 10,000 years ago in Central Asia. Currently, there are 900 different breeds of sheep today and approximately 1 billion sheep across the world.
- The majority concentration of sheep found in China and mainly used for meat, milk, fat and fleece.
- It can grow upto 25 to 50 inches in height (at the shoulders) and 99 to 353 pounds of weight.
- Almost all the sheep species has spiral horns and have a filed vision of 300 degrees, howvever, it has poor depth perception.
- The average lifespan of sheep is 6 to 12 years.
- Mouflon Sheep is one of the beautifully horned animals in the world.
- Donkeys are the smallest member of the horse family and also one of the famous domestic animals in the world.
- It has been domesticated 5,000 years ago and from the African wild ass located in Africa and the Middle East. The ancestor can still be seen in the wild of Africa.
- Donkeys are mainly used as a working animal that can carry heavy loads and pull the plough in poor countries.
- It can reach upto 31 to 63 inches in height and 180 to 1.060 pounds of weight.
- Talking about the appearance, it has a large head with big ears. The large ears are helpful in eliminating excess heat from the body and helps in the detection of sounds in the desert.
- They have an excellent memory and can easily recognize other donkeys and even peoples even after a span of 25 years.
- Donkeys are social animals who are affectionate and playful and one of the most popular as a pet in the USA.
- The average lifespan is 40 to 50 years, howvever, it used much shorter.
These are the list of top 10 domestic animals in the world. Kindly share and do post your comments.